In the quest to find better and more inventive ways to recruit students and increase student retention, it is easy to overlook the best resource every campus has―its staff members.
College employees have a broad and lasting impact on the success of an institution and its brand in the marketplace. Engaged college employees:
- Understand the critical role they play in student success;
- Can see that their day-to-day work is valued;
- Go out of their way to assist individual students;
- Share positive feedback with members of the community; and
- Feel loyal and connected not only to their division but also to the institution as a whole.
However, college staff are not going to be engaged and effective unless they are motivated and satisfied. They have to feel like they are not only making a difference, but that the campus cares about their efforts and their concerns. How can your campus accomplish this?
Assessing your employees is one of the most efficient ways to keep campus employees satisfied and maintain a high level of morale. It is similar to the advantages of assessing the student experience, where you can learn areas of challenge as well as strengths you can build on. Furthermore, assessing campus employees and then acting on the data you receive shows a commitment to their satisfaction, which can further improve morale.